The fifth in a series of Briefings, written by Tony Juniper, Jonathon Porritt and Charles Secrett and me, is released today. These are being released following our letter of 12th March to the Prime Minister warning him that his plans for another generation of nuclear reactors are ill-conceived and doomed to failure.
Briefing five, Why Nuclear Power is Not the Answer to the problems of Climate Change and Energy Security, is released today and a pdf can be downloaded here. It focuses on:
1. The opportunity cost of nuclear
2. The technical debate: can nuclear and renewables co-exist?
3. Is nuclear power really low-carbon
4. Peak Uranium?
5. Nuclear is not ‘ever-ready’
6. Nuclear’s ‘nightmare scenario’ in the UK
Why Nuclear Power makes No Sense for the UK – A series of briefings for the government
1) Subsidising the Nuclear Industry (25 March – view here)
2) Investing in Nuclear: Current Concerns (4 April 2012 – view here)
3) The New Nuclear Industry (17 April – view here)
4) The Wider Economic Impacts of Nuclear Power (20 April – view here)
5) Why Nuclear Power is Not the Answer for Climate Change or Energy Security (27 April – view here)
Still to come:
6) Nuclear Power: A Toxic Issue Goes Critical for the Coalition Government (2nd May)
For more information or interviews please contact Sam Allen: 07775612215, firstname.lastname@example.org
To mark the release of the final briefing on 2nd May, Tom Burke, Tony Juniper, Jonathon Porritt and Charles Secrett will be holding a press conference in London.
Press Invite – Nuclear Power: A Toxic Issue Goes Critical for the Coalition Government – Wednesday, 2 May 2012
Mary Sumner House, 24 Tufton Street, Westminster, SW1P 3RB get directions
11.00 am Arrival and refreshments
11.30 am Briefing, Q & A and open discussion
12.30 pm Close
The final briefing (to be published on May 2nd) highlights the risk to the Coalition Government itself: for how much longer will the Liberal Democrats continue to support a strategy that undermines every aspects of its pre-Election energy policy?
To reserve your place, please email Sam Allen, email@example.com